Monday, August 22, 2011

Day one is History, tomorrow still a mystery.

I survived my first day of first grade. That one was a little different. 5:45 came very early to this woman here, but  I manged to make it all day! I arrived at school at approximately 7 o'clock this morning which is a usual arrival time for me. I got the last bits of prep done and right at 7:25 I had parents and kiddos in my classroom. They were bringing in supplies by the bags. Lucky for me majority of my students brought all supplies and some. I had a wonderful system going on to get it all organized!! We had a great start this morning. They truly are hard workers. We went over and over and over all the classroom procedures and hallway procedures. We even had to discuss the procedures for the restroom. I think they will have it down by the end of the week. :) I have a few here and there that are testing their limits but hopefully I can get control of that situation really quick. Down the 1st grade hall you see so many things... I can not even begin to tell you how many children ended up in my room on accident. Their little minds are not programmed to the correct room yet. I didn't see much of that in the 4th grade. I also got questions like, what color is your hair? They are precious! But these little ones are NEEDY, I got a big laugh out of my team when I mentioned that word. 
It is amazing how different a fourth grade classroom is compared to a first grade classroom. I know I am going to enjoy my year though. I realized today I need a minute by minute schedule to keep me on track. I worked on tomorrow's today before I left school. Lori cracked up at me today when I came in her room at the end of the day to inform her of this. She promises me that it will just get easier. I can only hope at this point. :) 
I will say nothing is better than the love of a child though. As my students left today I was overwhelmed by the amount of hugs I received as they left. They are awesome. I decided to put my desks into groups as well. So I will let you know how that goes. Tuesday folders were going to be the death of me this afternoon. I will say they are looking awesome and ready to head home with the students tomorrow. I was able to leave at 6:30 this evening. 11 and a half hours, and some of you thought I had an easy job. But I love it and truly can not wait for my min by min schedule tomorrow. 

I had my students make pictures of their favorite weather today I will have to take pictures and post. They are super creative. They were given 3 cotton balls, sheet of paper, glue, and crayons! They really were cool. I will update pictures soon. 

Talk to you soon. 

Miss Hampton

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog! I am glad you are enjoyng first grade. Those first graders are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete